Saturday, August 8, 2009

One down and four to go!

Cable #3 Falls Church, VA

Time just seemed to fly this last week, and now there are only four left. As I wrapped up my first week of officially being a U.S. Diplomat, I cannot describe the immense pride and honor I feel to carry this title. Our class, the 147th, had the opportunity to hear from some many important folks, most who have been doing this a long time, including previous Ambassadors. It is so exciting to see what my career may develop into. We learned about the organization of missions abroad, were introduced to our class mentor, and received our bid list. I am so excited as there are several posts that I was hoping to have the opportunity to bid on, including: Guadalajara, Mexico City, Honduras, Uruguay, Dominican Republic, among others. There was also Ciudad Juarez and Tijuana...which for some reason I feel will be moved to the top of my list due to language ability...but even if I do get one of those two, it would not be bad. We have to have these lists turned in by next Friday, and then we find out where we will be going around Aug. 31st, so keep your fingers crossed.

Although the time is flying, and I am learning so much, it does not diminish the fact that I still miss my friends and family that I have left back in Indiana. I am trying to keep everyone in mind and updated as to happenings with me via this blog. Many people from the Fire Department have sent me emails, updating me as to the many runs that I have missed out on. I often sit here in the house and hear all of the sirens in the middle of the night and think back to getting up at 2am for those car accidents. Oddly enough, I do miss that.

I am really getting to make my way around Virigina. I live in an area known as Falls Church, VA. It was settled in 1699, and is quite the quaint old style town with all the new perks. Most of the apartments in the area run approximately $1500/month for a one-bedroom. It certainly is not cheap and gives you an idea of the area.


I write this blog as I take some time to relax and get caught up on some stuff. I have basically spent this weekend doing some grocery shopping, purchased a new printer, shredder, and some other basic items. I think I am taking tomorrow to just relax. I feel bad, as many of my classmates have organized outtings, games, and social hours, but I just have just not felt like going at this point, with so much to "settle in". I look forward to take more advantage of these as I move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment