Sunday, August 2, 2009

Mr. Bordenkecher Goes to Washington

Cable #1 - Falls Church, VA

Although my arrival didn't have the glamour of Mr. Smith, I finally wrapped up a two day trip on the road arriving in Washington D.C., and not a moment too late. I don't know how much more lemon heads and mountain dew my stomach could take on the seemingly endless trip. It was enough to keep me awake, and the new ride made for a comfortable journey. I guess that is the problem, I was so used to the rugged jeep, that being able to set the cruise control, turn on the A/C and not be jostled by every bump...well, it took a little effort to stay awake.

Probably my worst fear upon arriving was the traffic, as I just happened to time my arrival just right and ended up in the daunting miles of eager Virginias leaving work on a Friday afternoon. Nevertheless, a last minute purchase before leaving Indy (my Garmin Nuvi) made my ride super smooth, although I find myself telling the lady talking on the machine to, "shut up", "I know where I am going". The gadget has more than paid for itself already, helping me to get around town like a local and probably venturing further than some of my other friends here.


So finally I pulled into the Apartment Complex (Oakwood Falls Church), not really knowing what was in store for me. Well, I must say, it is simply OUTSTANDING. Yeah, it feels a little like a "dorm" atmosphere, but what can you expect when probably 60% are Foreign Service Officers. Out of all of the posts I read, many talked about avoiding Oakwood and getting a condo instead, but I must say, the accomodations are more than what I would have hoped for. Somehow I received a one-bedroom, instead of a smaller studio, but I was not going to complain. I have all of the comforts, including a full kitchen, bath, bedroom, walk-in closet, and a living room. It is the equivalent of a 4-star hotel suite. Did I mention, it is all being paid for...so, yeah...I give Oakwood two thumbs up!


Tomorrow is my first day in the Foreign Service, as I will go to the main State Department and do all of the processing and paperwork. Perhaps I will get a chance to take a trip to the seventh floor and say "hey" to Secretary Clinton...yeah, I doubt it too. Those days of getting up at 8am are over...now I must be there by 8am, so I guess I will start working on going to bed at a good hour.

Until the next cable, CB-out.














1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the FS! I have added your blog to my list of 100+ FS blogs at http://lifeafterjerusalem.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete